Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
Dear Accompanying Persons of Participants in the 38th International Vienna Motor Symposium,
Whilst the participants in the conference will hear about the most recent findings in the areas of powertrain technology, energy supply, environmental studies and related fields, we are pleased to offer you a choice of guided half-day tours to Viennese places of interest. Our qualified guides will give you detailed information.
Following a long tradition, the Mayor of Vienna will invite you to the Heurigen Fuhrgassl-Huber, a typical Viennese wine tavern which will give you the opportunity to end the day with a relaxed and leisurely get-together. We will be delighted to welcome you as our guests also on this occasion.
Do you intend to go to the opera, to a concert or to attend a musical performance? We have reserved a series of tickets for performances at the Vienna State Opera, the Volksoper (popular opera), the Musikverein as well as the Raimund Theatre and the Ronacher featuring musicals. Please register for all these events (tours, evening programme incl. Wine Heuriger) together with the registration for the technical programme.
Archduchess Maria Theresa was born on May 13, 1717 in Vienna – precisely 300 years ago – and died on November 29, 1780 also in Vienna.
The starting point of the tour will be the Hofburg (Imperial Castle) where she resided for 40 years as Austria’s ruler. The route will take participants through the Schweizerhof (Swiss Courtyard) to Josefsplatz (Joseph’s Square) with the equestrian statue of Maria Theresa’s son Joseph II, and will continue to the Augustiner Kirche, the former court church in which numerous weddings of the Austrian imperial family were celebrated – the wedding ceremony of Maria Theresa and Francis Stephen of Lorraine also took place there.
The Loretto Chapel with its “crypt of hearts” contains 54 hearts of rulers of the Habsburg dynasty stored in silver urns.
The next stop will be the Imperial Burial Vault, the Kaiser- or Kapuzinergruft. It houses the magnificent sarcophagi of members of the Habsburg dynasty which bear witness to the different stylistic epochs. Here, the last funeral took place in 2011, when Otto von Habsburg, son of the last Austrian emperor, Charles I, was buried. The walk will take participants to the Providence Fountain which the Viennese call “Donner Fountain” after its artist. Raphael Donner created the figures of the fountain in the form of river gods emerging naked from the water. However, this did not quite correspond to the strict moral precepts of Maria Theresa!
The route will then continue, past the Albertina Graphic Collection and the Burggarten (Castle Garden) formerly the private garden of the Habsburgs, past the equestrian statue of Francis Stephen of Lorraine to Maria-Theresien-Platz (Maria Theresa Square). The group monument for Maria Theresa, designed by Anton Dominik von Fernkorn, was created only in the 19 thcentury and shows the ruler sitting on her throne, surrounded by her advisers. One side of the monument is devoted to art: here you can see not only the figures of Joseph Haydn and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, but also that of the famous doctor Gerhard van Swieten.
After a glimpse of the facades of the Museum of Art History and the Museum of Natural History the tour will end on Maria Theresa Square at approx. 12.30 hrs.
The focus of this excursion will be two world-renowned buildings by the famous Viennese Art Nouveau architect Otto Wagner. These are the Österreichische Postsparkasse (Austrian Postal Savings Bank) and the Kirche am Steinhof (Steinhof Church). These two buildings represent a synthesis of the arts, as Otto Wagner himself planned and designed every minute detail.
The bus will first take participants to the Postsparkasse which was built using the new steel structure method in the years 1904 to 1906 as the Royal and Imperial Postal Savings Office – it is Otto Wagner’s most imposing secular building. During the external viewing of the building, attention is drawn to the laurel wreaths, a typical characteristic of all Otto Wagner’s buildings. The large banking hall (Kassensaal) has been preserved in its original state and is still in use today. The characteristic stools and desks created by the famous cabinet-making company Thonet are especially impressive.
After this visit, the bus will take participants via Karlsplatz (Charles’ Square) with its two subway stations also designed by Otto Wagner further to Wienzeile where two residential buildings with typical Art Nouveau decorations can be seen, and then proceed to the hospital church at Steinhof. This church was completely renovated just in time to celebrate its 100th anniversary. Since 2004 the freshly gold-plated dome has been shining in its new splendour, the huge glass windows by Koloman Moser have been carefully cleaned and the façade has been clad with new plates of Carrara marble. The church, which stands on a hill and can be seen from many different locations in Vienna, represents one of Vienna’s prime sights.
After the guided tour, the bus will take participants back to the Congress Center Hofburg, where the excursion will end at around 12.40 hrs.
given by the Mayor of Vienna at Wine “Heuriger” Fuhrgassl-Huber, Neustift am Walde 68, 1190 Vienna, for participants of the symposium and accompanying persons (free of charge).
Bus Transfer 20.00 hrs.
Please bring your invitation, handed over at the registration desk to participants who have marked point 5 of the registration form.
Austria boasts an unusually large number of chapels: some of these are open to the public whereas others are strictly private located in palaces and ministries. Participants will be shown some of these hidden chapels.
The walking itinerary will lead to Schweizerhof and continue along a staircase to the rooftop of the Hofburg to the Federal Monuments Authority Austria. There, in the former bedroom of Emperor Francis II./I. an altarpiece can be admired depicting the emperor. Next to the bedroom the former dining room of Crown Prince Rudolf is located, which is decorated with the paintings of earlier rulers like an ancestral hall.
Walking to the Federal Chancellery, participants will pay a visit to the baroque Johannes Nepomuk Chapel, where every year on November 2 a memorial service is celebrated in memory of deceased staff of the Chancellery. The excursion will then head to the Ministry of the Interior. In 2002, the chapel was rediscovered and, like the Sala Terena there, was thoroughly restored. The chapel is devoted to the noted priest Jakob Kern and displays a very modern altar crucifix created by the famous Austrian painter Arnulf Rainer.
In Kurrentgasse we will visit the baroque Stanislaus Kostka Chapel, named after a young Polish saint who lived in the 16th century. The outstandingly beautiful paintings of flowers on the walls are in contrast to the altarpiece which relates the different episodes in the short life of Saint Stanislaus.
The tour will end, after returning via the Graben and the Kohlmarkt, at around 12.40 hrs. in front of the Congress Center Hofburg.
This tour will encompass two significant musical performance venues – the Vienna State Opera and the Musikverein (building of the Association of the Friends of Music) – both constructed in the 19 thcentury.
The State Opera was founded by Emperor Francis Joseph I as the court opera – whereas the building of the Musikverein was mandated by the Association of the Friends of Music. The walk will take participants via the Burggarten (Court Garden) in which the monument of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is located, to the State Opera. The Opera, which was built by the architects Van der Nüll and von Sicardsburg in a Romantic-Historicist style, was bombed and severely damaged at the end of the Second World War. In the phase of reconstruction a few years later the building was restored. Its interior was, however, renovated and decorated in the style of that time. The re-opening ceremony took place in 1955.
The magnificent staircase which has been preserved in its original form and the “Schwind” foyer with its oil paintings by the Austrian painter Moritz von Schwind are well worth a visit.
The second destination will be the Musikverein, the building of the Association of the Friends of Music.
This association, which was founded in 1812, mandated the Danish architect Theophil Hansen in 1867 to build this concert hall. A magnificent concert hall was to be constructed for the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra: the “Golden Hall”, which is famous for its outstanding acoustics and is known worldwide on account of the annually televised New Year’s Concert. Some years ago the building was impressively enlarged. Each of the hyper-modern halls has its specific, typical acoustic character because of the use of different materials (wood, stone, glass and steel).
The tour will end in front of the Musikverein at approx. 13.00 hrs.
Maria Theresia © Carina Karlovits
Augustinerkirche © Pfarre St. Augustin
Kassensaal Postsparkasse / Large banking hall © P.S.K. Archiv
Kirche am Steinhof / Steinhof Church © P. J. Keiblinger
Ahnensaal / Ancestral hall © BDA
Stanislauskapelle © Verlag Richard Pietsch & Co.
Wiener Staatsoper / Vienna State Opera © Wiener Staatsoper/ Michael Pöhn
Goldener Saal / Golden Hall © 1999-2015 Gesellschaft der Musikfreunde in Wien